Many homeowners find fall’s moderate weather the perfect time to tackle home and yard projects. And if those projects also are great preparation for the coming cold, so much the better! Here are a few maintenance tips that will both improve your home and get your property in great shape for harsher winter conditions.
- Masonry: Patch cracks, fix leaks, and repaint where needed.
- Trees and shrubs: Trim and prune, with special attention to any limbs that may threaten to damage your property during snow or ice storms.
- Gutters: Remove debris, and verify all drainage is unblocked and free-flowing.
- Roofs: Clean off debris, and repair or replace broken or damaged shingles.
- Windows and doors: Ensure effective insulation by re-caulking or adding or replacing weather stripping.
- Attic: Seal any entryways that may attract nesting rodents or other pests. Verify that insulation is adequate to prevent or minimize ice dams.
- Fireplace and chimney: Inspect and clean to prepare for warming fires.
©2013 Selective Ins. Group, Inc. (Branchville, NJ). "Selective" insurers include Selective Ins. Co. of America, Selective Ins. Co. of New England, Selective Ins. Co. of N.Y., Selective Ins. Co. of South Carolina, Selective Ins. Co. of the Southeast, Selective Way Ins. Co., Selective Cas. Ins. Co, Selective Fire and Cas. Ins. Co and Selective Auto Ins. Co. of N.J. Insurers and products available vary by jurisdiction.