Spring cleaning your home can be a refreshing way to get your nest aired out and spruced up after the close quarters of winter. If your personal project involves a whole house refresh or just a brightening up of a few well-worn areas, here are a few tips that you should keep in mind to help avoid simple strain or a potentially costly trip to the emergency room:
- Stay cool. Stand in front of a fan if necessary. Drink lots of water.
- If moving furniture, remember the basics: lift with the legs or don't lift at all!
- Have a partner when planning to work on ladders and tall step stools.
- Clearly mark wet floors and surfaces.
- Warn people if clutter is present. Clutter can be a dangerous hazard if it accumulates in areas that are normally clear and people don't know to expect obstacles.
- Make multiple trips, and don't lift too much at a time.
- If dusting or using cleaners that require a mask or gloves, wear a mask or gloves!
- Don't leave buckets of liquid in places where they could spill and create a slip-and-fall exposure.
- Properly store all cleaning supplies.
©2015 Selective Ins. Group, Inc., Branchville, NJ. Products vary by jurisdiction, terms, and conditions and are provided by Selective Ins. Co. of America and its insurer affiliates. Details at selective.com/about/affiliated-insurers.aspx.