10/30/2012 - Tips for filing insurance claims after Hurricane Sandy
It can be overwhelming after a hurricane or flood has hit your home or business. Here is some guidance from FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) on some best practices for filing insurance claims after a natural disaster.
1. If you have flood insurance
, review the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) Flood Insurance Claims Handbook
, which provides tips on what to do before and after a flood.
2. Call your insurance agent
to report your claim. If you have separate flood insurance, also call your flood insurance agent to report any flood damage. Your flood insurance agent will prepare a Notice of Loss form and an adjuster will be assigned by Selective
to assist you.
3. Photograph the inside and outside of your property; this includes all personal items that are damaged by flood waters, showing the any damage or flooding. Be sure to adequately describe and photograph discarded items so that when the adjuster examines your losses and your records, these articles are included in the documentation.
4. Good records can speed up settlement of your claim. Compile a room-by-room inventory of damaged goods, and include manufacturer's names, model numbers, serial numbers, dates and places of purchases, and prices.
5. Separate the damaged from the undamaged property and put it in the best possible order for the insurance adjuster's examination. If reasonably possible, protect the property from further damage.
6. When the adjuster visits your property, let him or her know if you need an advance or partial payment of loss. Use your inventory to work with the adjuster in presenting your claim.
Please visit www.fema.gov
for more tips, details, and resources on recovering from a disaster.
As always, Selective hopes that everyone remains safe during the course of this hurricane. If you are a Selective customer who has been impacted by Hurricane Sandy, please call us toll-free now at 866-455-9969 or click here
to report your claim online. For flood claims, please call 877-348-0552 or visit www.selectiveflood.com