Skip to content


Text Size: - +
Go Back to Most Recent FYI Articles

Go Back to Frequently Asked Questions Articles

9/26/2011 - Do you need commercial auto insurance coverage?

Some businessowners may need commercial auto coverage.

Individuals whose company uses a car or truck for business-related purposes may be wondering whether or not they need to carry a commercial auto insurance policy or if a basic car insurance plan will do. And according to the Insurance Information Institute, this is best determined on a case-by-case basis.

For instance, the III says the answer typically depends on the type of driving that's done. An insurance agent will likely ask the businessowner a variety of questions to find out, such as who will be driving the vehicle, what the vehicle will be used for and whether the car is company- or private-owned.

If it's owned by the company, a commercial auto insurance policy may be required, and make sure the auto insurance policy is written out in the name of the business rather than the businessowner's. Selective offers commercial auto insurance, which provides coverage for the cars, trucks or other licensed vehicles owned or leased by the business in the event that they are damaged or destroyed by a covered cause of loss. This type of insurance can also provide liability coverage for damage or injuries caused by the vehicles.

Talk to your contact your Selective agent today to see if a commercial auto policy is right for your business, or click here to learn more about Selective’s business insurance products. 

Go Back to Most Recent FYI Articles

Go Back to Frequently Asked Questions Articles

Find a Local Agent